So in the last 4 months since I’ve been off my thyroid meds, I’ve noticed a very unwelcome side effect: Acne! I haven’t had any blemishes at all since I was in my mid teens! I’ve always prided myself on my clear, even toned skin, saying it was simply “genetics”. Yeah, that’s come back to bite me. My face looks like a pepperoni pizza!! Ok, maybe not that bad, but it definitely doesn’t look good. Of course, being who I am, I would never try any of those medicated facial creams or scrubs they advertise on television. Not going to happen. So, I’ve been searching everywhere I can (friends, family, magazines, the internet!) looking for the best, natural ways to get my healthy skin back. I’ve compiled a list of what I think are the most promising remedies to get rid of this pesky problem!
1. Good skin hygiene. This is very important. In order to get rid of acne, you HAVE to wash your face every day. Especially at night, to wipe off your makeup, or any oils you’ve accumulated throughout the day. Also, try not to touch your face!
2. Watch out for your moisturizer! Of course, its always a good idea to use a moisturizer after you’ve washed your face. This helps keep it smooth and young looking. However, be sure to look at the ingredients in your moisturizer. Does it have any oils in it? Most do, and each of us may be ok with a different oil on our skin. But its a good idea to use some trial and error. For me, coconut oil AND olive oil really mess with my skin! They make me break out so bad, that I don’t even want to be seen for a few days later because its so embarrassing! So be observant! The main reason you are having breakouts COULD be your moisturizer!
3. ACV. Apple cider vinegar seems like the cure-all doesn’t it? People use it for so many different things, and for a good reason; It helps balance the P.H in your whole body! ACV is best used as a toner you dab on your face after washing it. I’ve been doing this for the last month or so and have already seen great improvement! Why and how does it work? Here’s the best explanation I’ve found:
“Malic and lactic acids found in the vinegar help to soften and exfoliate your skin, reduce red marks, and treat acne on both your face and body. While ACV has antibacterial and antiseptic properties, most people have success with this toner because of how well it balances out their skin. You need to have pH-balanced skin because without it, your skin will suck. And when your skin sucks, you will probably break out. Skin is naturally acidic and functions best when it’s at a pH of around 5.5 (any number greater than 0 and less than 7 is acidic). ACV has a pH of 3 and the acidity from the toner helps bring your skin’s pH back to its normal levels. By restoring your skin’s balance, apple cider vinegar helps your skin function optimally, warding off bacteria and shedding dead skin cells at the proper rate so pores are unblocked and skin remains healthy.” (http://www.skinacea.com/acne/acne-treatment-acv.html)
4. Raw honey. Raw honey is antiseptic, anti bacterial, AND anti inflammatory! That is why people have been putting it on cuts and burns for centuries. The stuff really heals! But did you know for those very same reason, it is an effective tool against acne? It sounds kind of icky (and sticky) but try putting honey on some of your acne problem spots! Most sites I have found say to try to leave it on for at least fifteen minutes. Me? Heh, well I’ve been known to go to bed with it on….What?! I don’t roll! When I wake up I simply wash it off and go about my day. I don’t do this nearly as often as I should though, so I’m really going to work on using raw honey more often!
5. Aloe vera juice. Well, just type in “Aloe vera juice and clear skin” on youtube and you will see video after video about how drinking aloe vera juice is the magic acne cure! And, I’ve got to say I believe it! You should look at some of their faces. Not only is their skin clear of any blemishes, but its also shiny and healthy looking! My own grandpa got obsessed with it about two years ago and I noticed how clean and shiny his skin looked. It was crazy! Of course he said it was all to do with drinking his magic juice (aloe vera, of course). I’ve got to go get me a bottle or two!
6. A clean diet. This is essential. Stay away from the processed junk, and the artificial sugars. For me, I notice that any time I have candy (even one small piece!) my skin breaks out. Every time. That’s why I’ve always tried to only have sugar on occasion, and otherwise use natural sweeteners like Stevia, raw honey, or pure maple syrup. We still have some valentines candy floating around our house, which has made it quite hard. But I’m really going to try now! I am!
7. Balanced hormones. Lastly, the whole reason you are breaking out could simply be that your hormones are unbalanced. Mainly, that you are estrogen dominant. This seems to be at least part of my problem these days. Getting off my thyroid meds sent my hormones through a loop! I don’t know why exactly, but it did. They are starting to balance out again, but I still have some work to do. If you think this could be a problem for you, read my post on how to balance your hormones using easy, natural remedies.
Well, that’s it for now! Starting next week I am going to combine all of these steps and see if it works! I will post back soon (with pictures!) to let you know how it goes! If you try any of these, be sure to drop me a comment to let me know if its working!